Tuesday, July 22, 2008

JMKoontz - Mini Challenge

We had one gentleman join the challenge. I often forget how truly creative and artistic men are. I know that makes me sound a bit prejudiced, but as a special occasion seamstress, I do not run across many men in my own artistic arena. It was a great pleasure to see what JMKoontz did with his mini album and completely erased that half-formed idea in the back of my head that men are not as creative as women in all the arts.

He introduces his shop as "arts and artifacts from days that never were" and offers costume accessories for sci-fi and fantasy as well as fine art prints. Should you ever need a set of horns to round out a costume, you must see his collection first! I am really loving the Pretty Pink Shimmer set.















Q&A with JMKoontz:

A Little About You:
What is your favorite morning beverage?
Milk – I cannot stand coffee in any form except as a bean coated with chocolate

Do you prefer cats or dogs?
Dogs – I know where I stand with dogs, and typically if they claw you it was intentional

What is next to your computer right now?
Cell phone, Graphics Tablet, Mt Dew can … oh and off a bit are a few random scripts for upcoming graphic novel pages and my scanner.

Do you like your handwriting?
Really that depends on how much time (and patience) I care to devote to the task which requires my handwriting. I love my signature though ^_^

Would you bungee jump?
No, I do not like ‘open heights’ I do not care that there is a tether … my luck, it will fail at the wrong moment

If you could meet one historical figure, who would it be and what would ask him/her?
I like to talk … probably could come up with good questions and conversation for most known figures throughout history. I would like to know how Tolkien came up with his diverse cultures and especially his languages.

A Little About Your Mini Scrapbook:
What prompted you to join the Mini Scrapbook Challenge?
I love to create things and I really wanted a challenge. It never hurts that it is
a community event that also allows me to meet some cool and creative folks.

When you first saw the album, what did you think you would do with it?
When I first saw it, it was so tiny I really wasn’t sure what to do with it. I
knew I wanted to do something themed, however, and since by large fingers don’t handle small objects well, I knew it would have to be visual arts related.

What did you end up doing with it?
I created a series of Steampunk themed Fairy photo manipulations, printed then to tiny size and affixed them to the pages. Then I embellished the covers of the book with lace trim to add that hint of Victorian elegance and gilded the silver metal clasp with gold leaf while replacing the chain with a waxed thread clasp.

Is there a theme to your album? Why/why not?
Yes … Steamed Faeries; kinda like Pressed Fairies, only Steamier. I chose this theme because it works with my enjoyment of steampunk aesthetic combined with fantasy. The size of the book actually suggested the use of faeries as a main thematic subject as well.

Now that you have worked with one, would you want to do another one?
If I had an idea for another mini-theme, or if I saw another mini-book that gave me ideas, sure.

What would you do differently next time?
Hmm … honestly, that really all depends on the ideas I had for the individual book.


A Little About Your Art/Craft:
When did you first start crafting? Why?
Hmm … when I was 5? Seriously, probably 10 years ago while I was in high school. It is only very recently that I started trying to parlay crafting into something of a business however.

What is your favorite material/technique?
Leather, lace, watercolor, clay, acrylic, watch parts, computer, scanner, mechanical pencil … I’m all over the place when it comes to media and materials. Whatever tickles my fancy at the time is what I’ll use.

What are your favorite colors to work with?
Yes? As a classically trained artist, I work with whatever colors are in that which I am creating. I do have a soft spot for rich jewel tones and vibrant popping light (photography)

Are you good with written instructions, or do you need pictures?
I’m fairly good with written instructions, however if you want to be 100% sure, draw me a quick diagram.

If you could learn one new technique, what would it be? Why?
I want to know how to throw pottery. I have a fascination with ‘primitive’ instruments and while I love the sound of ceramic drums, I cannot seem to get a good body via hand-building techniques.

If you could give one piece of advice to a young person first starting out, what would it be?
Try Everything, even if you don’t think it is the right material, technique, media, what-have-you, for you, try it out anyway. Worst Case: you’ll have a better appreciation for someone else’s craft. Best Case: it turns out to be THE ONE THING you love above all other techniques.

4 comments:

Debbie~ said...

Fantastic JMK, I love your presentation, the black background to showcase your mini is particularly an eye popper! From getting to know your shop, it's so 'YOU'! Perfect theme. I could hardly wait to see your mini, it didn't let me down!!!
Ecologicallyworn~

My name is Julia :-) said...

I'm so glad JMKoontz accepted the challenge... I've found another seller for my favs, what a creative shop. Great job on the album, I'd love to see closeups. Flickr maybe?

Debbie~ said...

tbc, click on his pictures, I was able to bring them right up!!! Then you can really enjoy every detail!!! ecologicallyworn~

Waterrose said...

Looks like you are getting some great creations! Your interviews are wonderful fun to read!

About Me

My photo
i sew because i cannot draw.